The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 May 2024, 21:12

All times are UTC + 2 hours

DVD: Do you want music instead of the commentary?
Poll ended at 26 Nov 2010, 11:26
Keep original audio with commentary 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Rather replace commentary with music, without jeopardising engine noise 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
Replace entire soundtrack with music 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just cut out commentary, keep the original bits in between 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: AAD DVD - Audio options
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 11:26 

QUESTION: In the AAD DVD (which is coming along slowly but surely), do you want the airshow commentary as done by Bryan Emmenis et al, or do you want music over the bits where they can be heard doing commentary?

Or do you want me to do my own voice overs with actual information on the aircraft?

Let the poll begin ...

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 12:15 

I think have some music instead of commentary, just choose the music carefully. The reason is because the guy that was commentating with Brian (Not Horace Block, the other guy) made a little bit of a hash of things at some stages.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 15:43 

Let's have both - Music and Brian Van Emmenis or even three options if you include your own commentary as well.
A DVD can have up to 8 soundtracks so there's lots of room for options to suit everybody's preference.

What music will you use?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 15:59 

Been through that one with my previous DVD's - can't use commercial stuff like Celine Dion etc. , so the web site freeplaymusic.com comes in handy at the moment. A lot of the type of music I need, a little chorus of guitar or paino that will make a great bridge between engine noise bits... Rock, Classical, will try to stay away from pumping House / trance this time. :cry:
I can assure you Rog, i don't have the time for 8 soundtracks... :shock: It's going to be either the one or the other, or I'll change it from display to display. Problem is - I have two angles that I filmed from, and 3 to 5 displays of a specific aircraft, so I have bits of commentary in one spot, but the next scene has no background noise, because the other angle's footage of a particular maneuver was better... Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
Otherwis I should just make this a triple DVD and put all the footage on there.... :shock:

I get the feeling that more people dislike the commentary at the shows, than people who like it... I have to say, it would be pretty boring if that commentary noise was to be taken away... And the not-so-nuts-about-SAAF guys will have no clue what's flying, cause they use the program for reference, and will end up calling a hawk a Rooivalk. :?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 16:19 
Site Admin

Just careful about the placing of music over commentary ... it may sound terrible to have engine noise for five seconds, music for five seconds, engines for three seconds, music for ten, ... etc. :!:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 16:43 

I think they mostly did their commentary while the aircraft was away from the center of the flight line - the slow stuff, I'm buggered though... That's why things are going so slow: the audio is holding me back.
Thank you for that tip Dean. Will let them flow a into one another, or keep the music al the way through, and just reduce the volume on which ever one needs to be turned down. Hope that will do the trick.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 19:33 

Hey Rynopot,

rynopot wrote:
Been through that one with my previous DVD's - can't use commercial stuff like Celine Dion etc.

Have you given any thought to approaching a couple of local groups and asking them to contribute music to your DVD?

What software are you using for the video editing?

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 21:14 

I'm for leaving the commentary as is .. this is as the airshow was seen & heard. The constraints in not being able to use "commercial" music, leaves you having to select music which, for me anyway, is always going to be inadequate, & also then requires much fading in & out.

But like Roger, multiple audio tracks are an option. I feel if you want to include music, then add it as a secondary audio channel, but leave the original DVD soundtrack available. (even if it's from different locations)

These are my preferences, but whichever way you end up doing the DVD .. I want one :D

Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 07:18 

music please,provided the music suits the scene..and aircraft noise where applicable on its own,eg start ups..

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 16:12 

Stratobat wrote:
Hey Rynopot,

rynopot wrote:
Been through that one with my previous DVD's - can't use commercial stuff like Celine Dion etc.

Have you given any thought to approaching a couple of local groups and asking them to contribute music to your DVD?

What software are you using for the video editing?

Regards,
Stratobat

Sony Vegas Movie Studio . Haven't thought about getting local groups, no. Could be an option - just pretty busy to get into sourcing that, though... :(

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 22:40 

I Agree with Kremlin on this one...
As much as i personally dislike Mr Emmemis's voice, it is needed for those of the community that dont really know whats going on.

As for the music in between, PLS stay away from the trance/house/industrial stuff if you can. It may be an easier choice to go with, (as can be seen with many other vids of the type), But if you can find some rock or classical that suits it, i for 1 will be ecstatic :D

Also... i realize i may be being unrealistic here.... But if you have any good original audio of the aircraft involved, it is always enjoyed. No idea how you're going to be able to combine the Music, Emmenis and epic aircraft noise, but hey..... thats why i'm the one buying it and not the one making it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 09:26 

Hi Ryno - Looking forward to your DVD - I will gladly pay extra for additional footage!!!

cheers

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 16:38 

Here is the Flying Lions - I used a MPEG file (80 + MBs) to indicate the quality of the footage. I hope you guys like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NkNMVxcwFk

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 11:05 

If you need someone to make some custom music for the vid, drop me a mail- I can hook you up :)
Also, 70's rock seems to work SO well with fighters! I saw a video on youtube of the 2 Sqn Cheetahs (I'm SURE you've all seen it) rocks some song that sounds like it's Bon Jovi... it's AWESOME!

Guitars + jets = WIN! :D

Hi there, I'm awesome.