The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:44

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 15:50 

As per NEWS24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... e-20160727

Hawks hunt robbers who stole weapons, ammo from Simon's Town naval base
2016-07-27 15:22

Cape Town - Robbers broke into the naval base in Simon’s Town on the weekend and made off with several guns, grenades and ammunition.

The police are treating the incident as a crime against the state, Netwerk24 reported.

Military police were called to the scene when the break-ins, at six of the weapons stores, were discovered on Monday around 10:00.

Four Uzi machine pistols, 72 hand grenades, 16 40-70 bullets, a 7.62mm R1 assault rifle, and a 7.62 mm M1 assault rifle were stolen.

The police and Hawks were called in.

Hawks spokesperson Captain Lloyd Ramovha said they were investigating the case because the base was a national key point.

The South African National Defence Forces issued a statement on Tuesday night‚ saying that an investigation had been initiated to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.

"The South African Navy views this incident in an extremely serious light and all efforts are being made to bring the perpetrators to book‚" it read

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 16:17 
Site Admin

Not the first time either. :-#

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 17:21 

What are "40-70 bullets" and why does the SAN even have antique M1 rifles in their armoury?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 17:29 
Site Admin

Roger the Dodger wrote:
What are "40-70 bullets" and why does the SAN even have antique M1 rifles in their armoury?

Perhaps they're not sure of the exact number? The rifles may be for ceremonial purposes.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 18:01 

Dean wrote:
Roger the Dodger wrote:

Perhaps they're not sure of the exact number? The rifles may be for ceremonial purposes.

The grammar of the sentence in the article is pretty clear - the thieves stole sixteen bullets of the 40-70 type.
It could be a mangled reference to 40mm L70 Bofors ammo - does the SAN have that type in stock/reserve? But gangsters would have no use for cannon rounds...

Their ceremonial rifle is the Lee-Enfield, not Garand.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2016, 23:51 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Dean wrote:
Roger the Dodger wrote:

The grammar of the sentence in the article is pretty clear - the thieves stole sixteen bullets of the 40-70 type.
It could be a mangled reference to 40mm L70 Bofors ammo - does the SAN have that type in stock/reserve? But gangsters would have no use for cannon rounds...

Their ceremonial rifle is the Lee-Enfield, not Garand.

The TON Class minesweepers had 40/60 Bofors and the Type 351's which came from Germany had the 40/70 although the guns were never used. Why that stock, if true, as are a few other items mentioned was still there is a good question. Thought it was disposed of years ago.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 07:07 

My money the thief is in the navy. A inside job makes the most sense.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 09:23 

Definitely an inside connection IMO.
Especially during the time of Red Lion and "local guarding"...very ironic. [-X
These people were opportunists!

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 11:19 

Rosh wrote:
Definitely an inside connection IMO.
Especially during the time of Red Lion and "local guarding"...very ironic. [-X
These people were opportunists!

Red lion finshed the Friday. It was the weakend after local guarding. I would bet money that some one that was duty was in on it. If not one of those that did it.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 11:30 

Maybe the thiefs thought no one would notice the thieft since it was old stuff.

Any case i give a day or 2 before a arrest starting from yesterday.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 11:47 

They nabbed 2
http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2016/0 ... y-burglary

Quote:
Who's stockpiling weapons stolen from naval base - and why?
Navy base robbery: Urgent answers needed on how a National Key Point was breached?
Probe into ‘loss of military equipment’ after break-in at Navy arms depot

South African National Defence Force spokesman Brigadier-General Xolani Mabanga confirmed the "loss of various types of military equipment” from the base – a national key point – in a burglary over the weekend.

The brazen raid put a spotlight firmly on security at military installations with many observers asking how it was possible to breach security.

Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation spokesman Captain Lloyd Ramovha told TMG Digital: “We can certainly confirm that two suspects‚ aged 18 and 26‚ were arrested in Steenberg on Thursday morning in an intelligence-driven overnight raid by the Hawk’s CATS (Crimes Against the State) and Crime Intelligence units‚ following the burglary incident at the Navy base over the weekend in Simon’s Town.”

He said that “various army equipment” had been found in their possession.

The two are expected to appear in court soon.

The Times newspaper reported earlier on Thursday that hand grenades‚ machine guns‚ pistols and hundreds of rounds of ammunition were stolen from six storerooms at the base.

Rapport newspaper revealed recently that security contracts for five of the country's biggest munitions depots had lapsed because the military had failed to pay the contractors. Soldiers guarding Bloemfontein's Tempe military base have also been attacked and robbed of their firearms.

You know you screwed when a acronym a acronym is after you

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 13:04 
Site Admin

sob wrote:
You know you screwed when a acronym a acronym is after you

:lol:

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 14:50 

What's really frightening, is the age that these youngs boys are. They grew up in front of me.
I know them, I know there fathers.
What a shock to the my system!! :shock:

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 18:46 
Site Admin

Quote:
Naval Base Simon’s Town theft has court sequel

Written by defenceWeb, Tuesday, 02 August 2016

wo 18-year-olds and a 21-year-old appeared briefly in the Simon’s Town Magistrate’s Court on Monday in connection with the theft of arms and ammunition from the naval base there.

According to The Times, Duncan Gouvaic (21) and Dillon Sewkumar (18) face charges of housebreaking, theft and the unlawful possession of prohibited firearms, ammunition and explosives. Their fathers are SA Navy members.

Electrical engineering student Karabo Ramakgopa (18) faces a charge of being in possession of a prohibited firearms allegedly stolen from the base. According to the newspaper his mother works for the Navy.

Their appearance relates to the theft of arms, ammunition and explosives from the armament depots at Naval Base Simon’s Town over the last weekend in July.

The three were arrested during the week after the theft was discovered in an intelligence-led investigation involving military police and the Hawks, officially the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI) of the SA Police Service.

Neither the Navy nor the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) has released any details of exactly what was stolen and, according to spokesman Brigadier General Xolani Mabanga, all of the items have been recovered. Reports have it that four Uzi machine pistols, four R1 assault rifles, an M1 machine gun, 16 ship’s cannon munitions, 72 hand grenades and two mine detonators were taken by the three and recovered on a smallholding outside Eersterivier in the Western Cape.

Defence for the three accused argued for bail to be granted as they were first-time offenders and were young. The court postponed their bail hearing until August 8 and they will remain in custody until then.

A source close to the family of one of the suspects told Rapport that there were no sinister motives in the burglary and that the weapons were stolen ‘for fun’. Apparently the grenades were offered for sale on Facebook.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2016, 20:16 

Offering grenades on Facebook for fun ??? :!: Facebook :!: :?: :shock:

I am truly saddened by the fact that youngsters can get such easy access to a secure military area. They need some good military discipline. :?